September 10, 2022
Latin America - Remote
A Product Owner, oversees the development of products from start to finish to ensure they meet the clients’ needs and preferences. Their main duties include determining the overall vision of products, managing various backlog items and deciding which features each product will have according to clients’ preferences.
Product Owners are members of the leadership team who manage the entire product development process within an organization. They’ll research and determine the clients’ needs to determine which features to include on products and will pitch ideas for product features to stakeholders. Product Owners will then continue to act as the primary contact between the scrum teams, product development departments and stakeholders.They’ll collaborate closely with both the scrum and product development departments to ensure the products meet specific objectives as outlined by stakeholders and clients. After product completion, the Product Owner will conduct a final review and submit their approval before releasing the product to clients.
Skills and Qualifications
To carry out the role of a Product Owner successfully, a candidate should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of Scrum and Agile Software Development Methodology
- Working knowledge of product development architecture
- Proficiency in the use of analytic tools
- Ability to prioritize effectively
- Excellent knowledge of user-centered design principles
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to work with large teams
- Understanding of design quality standards
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of their role on a product team, a successful Product Owner should fulfill the following duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborating with prospective users and clients to understand and anticipate their needs and translate them into product requirements
- Defining the vision for the team’s product
- Creating a product road map based on this vision
- Managing the product backlog and prioritizing them based on changing requirements
- Overseeing all stages of product creation including design and development
- Developing user stories
- Monitoring and evaluating product progress at each stage of the process
- Liaising with the product team and end-users to deliver updates
- Participating in Scrum meetings and product sprints
What makes a good Product Owner?
A strong Product Owner should hold impressive leadership skills to motivate and drive their teams to complete and launch products on time. They should use their effective attention to detail to carefully examine products and make sure they contain functional features that the stakeholders and clients require. Communication skills are also preferred in ideal candidates since they regularly collaborate with several departments and key stakeholders.